[CT Birds] Various inland stuff incl. Portland "Common" Teal

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 30 14:34:13 EDT 2013

Just because these birds haven't been reported today, I'd like to note that the Portland "Common" Green-winged Teal was present along with the the same species that have been there all week, this morning around 6:30 AM. Also, the East Hartford RB Merg drake continues at Cabela's. A couple of Wilson's Snipe were also lurking in the weeds along the pond, which appears to be a bit more cruddy with garbage and such than usual.

I did a check of maybe a dozen bodies of water east and south of Hartford. Ring-necked Ducks are around in decent numbers, as they often are this time of year. Buffleheads are not that hard to find inland right now too, at least on selected lakes. Less expected was a pair of Lesser Scaup trying to conceal their identity in a flock of Ring-necked Ducks on Amston Lake in Lebanon. There is a small Hebron town beach on the west side of that lake which had several Fish Crows looking like they might be thinking about nesting in an evergreen. It's near water but I've rarely gotten that species in Tolland County. The Rocky Hill meadows was dead but for 5 Common Goldeneyes along the river, seen from the Wethersfield side, and a somewhat pale Common Loon seen in Glastonbury waters from Ferry Park in Rocky Hill. The plumage on this bird is consistent with Sibley's first-summer Common drawing. Had my pulse going a bit faster for a moment.

As John Weeks noted yesterday, Black Bears have started their spring activities. My one remaining feeder got nailed on Thursday night.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT