[CT Birds] Reply on "Gray Jay"

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Sat Mar 30 22:55:53 EDT 2013

I received the following reply to my query about the eBird posting:

Hi Greg,
This account you are referring to is the account I use for my Ornithology class at UMaine to encourage student learning and birding outside of class (there are extra credit points associated with reporting).  It's great for the teaching angle, but certainly the class is mostly folks new to birding.  This observation was not from a class trip, so I was not present.  Each student, however, leaves their name in the comments, and I have contacted xx xxx about this observation to get more input.  If I had to guess, I'd probably say she saw a phoebe.  We have seen gray jay's in class (and not phoebes!), and the "go-to" list for the class is pretty short at this point, especially for Passerines (birding in Maine in the winter), so it's probably a mistake and Andrea was trying to match what she saw to what she had seen previously.  But I'll let you know when I hear more, and in the meantime, I've changed the observation so that it is not officially reported on ebird.  Thanks for the contact.

Greg Hanisek