[CT Birds] Redpolls

John Weeks aerie.john at cox.net
Sun Mar 31 14:01:21 EDT 2013

North Granby (yard) 3/31:

Seven Redpolls shared both thistle and sunflower seeds today with a duo of Pine Siskins.  The Redpolls have been daily visitors since Dec. 29th, with the exception of a few scattered days and a long hiatus from Feb. 23rd to March 15th (during which we saw only one Redpoll on a single day).  Our high count was 65 on Jan. 14th.

We have also had two Red-breasted Nuthatches visiting our feeders every day, fall to spring.  They have been scarce in Granby for the past several years, but I have heard them in a number of places around town since last fall.

An unwelcome sight today was our first (male) Cowbird of the year.

John Weeks