[CT Birds] Nearshore Gannets, Westport

sean at seanmurthaart.com sean at seanmurthaart.com
Tue Apr 2 12:26:28 EDT 2013

The report of Gannets in Bridgeport Harbor made me realize I should mention that yesterday, April 1st (no joke!) Brendan and I headed to Sherwood Island to look for the tri-colored Heron, but because of bad traffic we arrived after the gates were closed (about 6:30 pm).  We nevertheless scanned the marsh from the entry road, and though we did not find the heron, we could see Gannets just beyond the birch trees, apparently just off, and possibly over, Burying Hill Beach.  We headed  over there but by the time we reached the spot they had moved further east, though still close to shore.  We moved on to Southport Beach, and though we could still see Gannets, they stayed fairly distant.  The large collection of Bonapartes gulls resting on the gravel bars, the braided tidal channels reflecting the twilight sky, were a nice consolation, though.  May be a painting there.

-Sean Murtha

www.seanmurthaart.com