[CT Birds] Piping Plover Rpt, 4/4/13, Mlf Pt, Spectors

Stephen Spector charsjs at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 4 21:09:23 EDT 2013

Piping Plover Rpt, 4/4/13, Mlf Pt, Spectors
3:15-4:14 PM, low-mid tide (low at 1:11 PM) sunny, light breeze, 46 degrees

Piping Plover: 7-8 adults

Vast amounts of beach, land exposed because of near low tide.  Hard to find PIPL
because they were using the entire width of Cedar Beach.  We found a few at the
Cedar Beach water's edge, a few very far up the beach near houses.  Also one
PIPL was at the water's edge very far east on the beach.  We witnessed two
separate PIPLs calling on the beach, but we observed no direct courting
behaviors.  While today was somewhat warmer and quite a bit calmer than the last
few days, there was not much interaction.
Overall, we counted 4-5 birds on Cedar Beach.

We went out the Francis Street Spit and when we reached the end of the N/S
section we spotted 3 PIPL foraging on the mudflat west of the spit.  Found no
other PIPL.

Incidentally, yesterday (4/3/13) the New Haven Bird Club First wednesday walk
was at Milford Point, and we located 7 PIPL then (but the group did not go onto
Cedar Beach)

Other shorebirds: two pair of AMOY.

Other note: no PIPL at E Broadway yet.

Trash Pile and assorted junk on spit (old tire, siding, etc) needs removal

 charsjs at sbcglobal.net