[CT Birds] 4/6: Raptor encounter at cedar hill

Jonah Cohen jonahc at cox.net
Sat Apr 6 15:00:46 EDT 2013

This morning at Cedar Hill Cemetery in Hartford, a pretty good day. Spring's advance team was there: half a dozen pairs of wood duck, plenty of tree swallow with a couple of rough-winged swallows mixed in, phoebe, goldfinch, yellow rumped warbler, red-breasted nuthatch, a sapsucker, golden crowned kinglet, a bald eagle circling overhead... plus 15 deer trotting by in a line, and three muskrats.

But the weirdest thing of the day was on the path between the two ponds on the left by the entrance. We stopped short as we noticed a juvenile red-tailed hawk perched on the edge of a fallen tree. He (?) was maybe 8 feet off the ground, and as we watched/carefully moved a little closer to get a cell phone pic, he saw us, but did not care about our presence at all. We were standing about 10 feet away without provoking any reaction. Never seen a hawk that blase about humans before.

Jonah Cohen
Newington