[CT Birds] From MassBird on Potential 1st cycle Slaty

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Mon Apr 1 13:22:13 EDT 2013

I was copied on the MassBird post, copied below.  Passing it along.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT

Potential 1st cycle Slaty-backed Gull from Conn. observed on Silver Lake Wilmington
From: "Suzanne Sullivan"

Hello Massbirders,

I know enough of gulls already right? Well I have mentioned this gull to several folks so wanted to share. I first photographed the subject bird on Silver Lake on March 16th. I was lucky it was fairly close and in good light, although a little too good/bright. I immediately  thought Slaty-backed Gull ( SBGU) but what else is new. I photographed it again on another day and then again. I was looking on line last week for other photos of 1st cycle birds and came across this website in Conn. by Nick Bonomo, a very good birder, where the same bird had been in the end of Feb. and had been debated by folks on it's potential to be a SBGU. Nick does and excellent job with photos and discussions here ( hope Mr. Bonomo doesn't mind)

 As soon as I saw the photos I couldn't believe it looked so much like my bird! Then I enlarged one of the photos that showed the tail and sure enough it has red paint on it exactly like my bird! WOW.

The Conn bird   - http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KAeMAznE5Lo/USkpk2ChmcI/AAAAAAAAJFQ/dAxkkx9cfQQ/s1600/IMG_5087.JPG

The Wilmington bird - http://www.pbase.com/suzsull/image/149259571

I have photographed and studied this bird for three weeks now, in all sorts of light, in all different positions, on land on water etc etc.  I am convinced it is a 1st cycle SBGU, not sure I can convince all others but worth pondering don't ya think?.

Some of the best here http://www.pbase.com/suzsull/image/149259552 , and http://www.pbase.com/suzsull/image/149469232 , and http://www.pbase.com/suzsull/image/149469221http://www.pbase.com/suzsull/image/149469221 , and http://www.pbase.com/suzsull/image/149259557 , and lastly  http://www.pbase.com/suzsull/image/149434443

I cc'd the Roy Harvey from Conn list serve in case those folks are interested in seeing what this bird looks like a month later.
Suzanne Sullivan
swampy10 at verizon.net