[CT Birds] CACC

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 16:27:21 EDT 2013

4/3  Milford, Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center  10:30AM-1PM, low tide,
partly cloudy/sunny, very windy, 41F.
Spring is officially here, since both our male & female osprey have
returned. This is the longest time between the male's return and female's
return since at least 2005 when I started recording. A theory is that a
storm down south, delayed the female's return.  But they are both actively
engaged in nest building, bringing in branches & clumps of mud.
At 10:30AM the male was on the perch eating a fish, and female on the nest
arranging branches.   Around 11:15AM the female was squawking, because
there was a third osprey in the area.  I did see a third osprey on the nest
platform on the opposite side of the marsh.
In addition to our ospreys, there were 40+ Green winged teal, many
Gadwalls, American Wigeons, 2 Mute swans, 100+ Brant, American black ducks,
Both ring billed & Herring gulls.
Most water fowl were far out at the mouth of the Housatonic since tide was
dead low.
Northern harrier made a few passes by the window.
On the grounds and at the feeders were Song sparrows, Cardinals, MOurning
doves,  House finches, and House sparrows.
Bev Propen, Orange