[CT Birds] Litter Cleanup Taking Place Sunday, April 7.

Larry Bausher lpbausher at comcast.net
Sat Apr 6 15:52:49 EDT 2013

This resending of a previous post is to clarify that the cleanup is
taking place Sunday, April 7 instead of on "Earth Day", which is
later in the month.

The Milford Conservation Commission has issued a "50K by Earth Day"
litter pickup challenge to pick up 50,000 pieces of litter in Milford-
one for each resident! The New Haven Bird Club will participate by
cleaning up a stretch of Indian River located behind the Milford
Crossing Shopping Center (1411 Boston Post Rd., Milford, CT, 06460-
the Walmart shopping center, just east of the Connecticut Post Mall)
on Sunday, April 7th. We will post our litter tally on the Milford
Conservation Commission's facebook page.

This area has been identified by the CT DEEP as a significant natural
community for spawning ocean and freshwater fish species using the
Clark Pond Fishway, as well as other species of special concern.
Since it is surrounded on all sides by parking lots or roads, a
particular concern is a meadow full of plastic shopping bags ready to
travel down to Gulf Pond and Long Island Sound. Not good for wildlife
nor our beloved birds!

The NHBC "50K by Earth Day" will take place Sunday, April 7th (rain
date 4-14-13) from 12 noon to 4 pm. Come for all or part of the time.
Designated parking is along the fence behind Home Goods. The trail is
short and flat, but muddy in places. Wear boots and work gloves.
Trash bags will be provided, as well as subs and drinks. And do bring
family and friends! (Tell your teens we will have forms for community
service hours for scouts, graduation from high school with
distinction, etc.)

Bad back and knees? Not to worry- we will have Garbo-Grabber sticks,
donated by Home Depot..  For more information call Winie Wirth
203-859-2971, Conservation Co-Chair, NHBC.

Larry Bausher
NHBC Publicity Director