[CT Birds] Raptor encounter at Cedar Hill

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Apr 6 20:29:53 EDT 2013

Juvie Red-tails can be amazingly clueless. I had one at Hammo a  few years
ago attacking imaginary prey in the grass right by the side of the  road
around the Nature Center parking lot. It didn't care a bit that I was  standing
there taking its picture, and it's the only time I've had to BACK  UP in
order to get the bird both in focus and in frame.
Even adults can be pretty bold when they have some prey they  are in the
process of plucking and devouring. I had one in that same parking lot  with a
gull it had presumably killed, and there was a big circle of feathers
around the plucked carcass which it was ripping apart. I stayed a respectable
distance to take pics (easy since I was digiscoping) but I had the feeling
that  nothing short of hand to talon combat would have separated the bird from
it's  meal.
Don Morgan
Coventry (and currently, Knoxville, Tn, on the way to  Galveston)