[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club: Raptors of Nepal

Robert DeCandido PhD rdcny at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 10 08:15:30 EDT 2013

On Thursday evening 11 April, there will be a free slide (PowerPoint)
presentation on the raptors of Nepal. For details on the time/meeting
place and travel directions, see:

http://www.newhavenbirdclub.org/

http://www.newhavenbirdclub.org/gm.htm

7pm for social hour and 7:30pm for the start of the program...at the
Whitney Center (Cultural Arts Center) in New Haven.
=================
It was way back in 1998 that I first visited Nepal to study raptor
migration - particularly the east to west migration of Steppe Eagles.
In the last two years I have had the opportunity to return - with
digital cameras and long(er) lenses. In this program I will trace
what is known of this bird migration - some 32 raptor species use
this route each year. And I will trace the status of the nine vulture
species we see at this watch site (four are migrants). Along with my
friends (= scientific colleagues) in Nepal, we are working on a book
of the raptors of Nepal. Meanwhile, here is the "official"
description of Thursday night's (free) talk:

"Nine vulture species occur on the Indian Subcontinent, five of which
are globally endangered because of the widespread use of a chemical
(diclofenac) that treats arthritis in cattle. This evening's program
will show images of all nine of the vulture species of Nepal, both
in-flight and feeding on the ground. Dr. DeCandido himself has
discovered one new vulture species that had never before been seen in
Nepal. He'll discuss conservation efforts that include "Vulture
Restaurants" where animal carcasses free of deadly chemicals are
provided to vultures to help insure the precarious future of these
huge birds. Our speaker will also cover Steppe Eagles and other
raptors making an east to west migration across Asia toward Saudi
Arabia and presumably, Africa. The eagles were often just a few
meters above the camera, providing photos with excellent views that
show the birds' ages and molt patterns. In addition to studying
vultures in Nepal, Robert and photographer Deborah Allen have worked
on many raptor migration, and other bird projects in Malaysia,
Borneo, Thailand, as well as in Israel. They helped discover a raptor
migration watch site of global importance in Thailand where their
work continues (for 10 years now!). Come prepared for an evening of
big, graceful birds and snow-capped mountains."

Finally, just a note - I have done much more research in NYC - on
changes in the flora of NYC during the last 150 years; night
migration at the Empire State Building; the American Kestrels of NYC
- and the owls of NYC..scientific and popular articles are available
for each of these topics (as well as for raptor and other bird
migration in Nepal/Thailand and Malaysia).

Hope to see You,

Bob