[CT Birds] Darien Osprey Update

wingsct at juno.com wingsct at juno.com
Wed Apr 10 08:15:55 EDT 2013

Wonderful news, Tina.If there are issues with nesting on cell towers, such as interference with signals ordamage to the towers, then a proactive and humane approach would be to createexclusion devices that would prevent birds from perching and nesting in the first place.To my knowledge, I've not heard or read of any problems consequent to nestingon cell towers anywhere. All utility companies can and should be proactive if nesting birds become anactual hazard to equipment or human safety.  There's never any need tocause harm to the birds. Darien P.D. can keep busy during slow times and get out the brooms andshovels to clean up the fish remains (which are a great fertilizer for gardens -another fund-raising idea!)This is certainly a golden public education opportunity.Thank you all for your efforts on behalf of the Osprey. Meredith SampsonOld Greenwich