[CT Birds] Fwd: Hummers in CT/RI?

David Lawton lawtonesq at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 12:14:03 EDT 2013

Thank you, Al and Greg.

While the gap between eBird and the hummingbird maps may certainly be the
result of misidentification (e.g., flying insects) or even deliberately
falsified reports (but why!), at least a reasonable gap (unlike last year?)
is possible based on what I expect is fact--that there are a heck of a lot
of people putting out hummingbird feeders that don't participate in eBird,
COA, HAS, NHBC, etc. We can determine averages on a consistent basis when a
sufficient number of individuals of a given species are present. However, a
few individuals could easily escape all our eagle-eyes.  There may be
several unrecorded hummers in the state as we write -- or, perhaps just as
likely, some other rarity waiting to be discovered. As Dan R's tagline
states, "They have to be somewhere."

And now back to work (where I almost certainly won't see a RTH, early or
late).

Cheers and happy birding,

David