[CT Birds] Cockenoe & Norwalk Islands to Sheffield Lighthouse Boat Ride Highlights

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 10 15:19:49 EDT 2013

This morning I was able to get out on the water with AJ & Sue Hand on their boat. We checked out the Cockenoe Island rookery,Grays Creek, and Bermuda Lagoon in Westport as well as the Norwalk Islands and Canfield Island Creek in Norwalk. Still plenty of Long-tailed Ducks around and we had about twenty White-winged Scoters south of Cockenoe. No sign of Little Blue Herons yet but both egrets and night herons were present. A nice surprise were the 7 Blue-winged Teal we accidentally flushed from the small tidal pond on Cockenoe Island. Very few shorebirds were seen except for a single Willet(FOY),2 snipe,and a small flock of both yellowlegs species in Canfield Island Creek. As we were exiting the creek, Sue spotted a Merlin shooting past the bow of the boat and earlier we saw a gorgeous "gray ghost" Northern Harrier hunting over one of the islands and then over the water headed east.A wonderful day on the water birding!

Highlights for Roy-
4/10/13 - Westport/Norwalk on the water (7am- 1pm)-7 Blue-winged Teal (Cockenoe Island-Westport),20 White-winged Scoters,3 Northern Gannets,12 American Oystercatchers,Willet,Lesser Yellowlegs,2 Wilson's Snipe,Merlin,Northern Rough- winged Swallow,5 Tree Swallows

Tina Green with AJ & Sue Hand
Westport
Sent from my iPhone