[CT Birds] Darien Osprey still being "pounded"

David Lawton lawtonesq at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 14:22:09 EDT 2013

I don't want to make enemies or stir up controversy, but we might want to
consider a measured approach. While we all love Ospreys and want to see
them nest successfully, Osprey is a global species of least concern. Birds
and humans have to coexist, sometimes to the mutual benefit of both (I
wonder how many ospreys next in trees in Connecticut versus man-made
platforms, for example) and sometimes with unwanted results for both. It
will likely become increasingly important for birders and conservationists
to dialogue reasonably in order to achieve appropriate conservation goals.
If every birder always fights every human disturbance of nesting birds (and
that is not the case, fortunately), birders would lose credibility as
zealots. I don't know all of the information about this particular nest,
and whether this is a battle worth fighting, but I believe we generally
need to pick our battles in order to achieve increased and sustainable
conservation.