[CT Birds] Thanks so much for your birding tips!

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Thu Apr 11 22:28:52 EDT 2013

I'm passing along the message below on behalf of a visiting birder who posted a request here a few weeks ago.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT

From:  "Mary Wilkie" <wexford1798 at live.com>

I posted a couple of weeks ago saying that my daughter and I would be visiting and wanted to spend a few hours birding, and asking for suggestions.  So many of you kindly responded, and I was very grateful for your input.  We spent a little time at Dinosaur State Park today, where we saw the usual suspects - a hairy woodpecker, two Cardinals, a couple of buteos too high up to identify, and a bazilliion robins.  We drove down to Hammonasett Beach (many, many black and turkey vultures on the way) and about a half mile north of Rt 81 and Horse Pond Rd I saw a bald eagle in a wierd spot  - seemed he was coming up from the ground to a tree, fairly close to the road and I don't think there is any water right there.  I KNOW it was an eagle, though - I am fortunate to see them weekly at home on Grand Island, NY and you can't mistake them for anything else or vice versa. At any rate, nothing unusual to Hammonasset but the Osprey was very accommodating and swooped
 down and picked up lunch as soon as we trained the glasses on him. Also saw a couple of Northern Gannets (a big deal for me!), a herring gull, a double crested cormorant, and the typical grackles, red winged blackbirds, robins, and a couple of ducks that were flying into the sun so I couldn't identify them.

Again, I thank you all so very, very much for helping us out. You were all very kind.  We may get a chance to look some more tomorrow after we visit Mystic Seaport - will report if I see anything terrific.
Mary Wilkie

PS: I failed to mention all the greater egrets; what beautiful birds.  Looked for the purple martins but to no avail.