[CT Birds] Darien Osprey Update

Mardi Dickinson mardi1d at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 22:44:09 EDT 2013

Dear all,

Here is my update. While I was in Darien late this afternoon 3:54pm, I stopped by the Darien Osprey Tower.
I spoke with the communications engineer for the tower sites & briefly with the Chief. The conversation was very civil & respectful.
on both sides. Understanding the complete picture is key weather you agree or not  I am not here to take sides but give the facts
of what I have learned from todays visit.

1) First and foremost NO eggs were found in the Osprey nest.
2) With no eggs, Legally they can remove the nest in a constructive way.
3) The nest was just starting to be build by the Osprey, so much had not been completed by far.
4) They did take down the nest unfortunately for valid reasons from their point of view. I was told the Osprey was dropping
     large sticks that hit one person and nearly another they stated in the police parking lot . This is a liability from their point of view.
5) The communications company has put up Nest Exclusion Devices that are like small reflective pinwheels, to help deter the Ospreys
    from nesting at this site. Apparently this new type of system has worked with no problems so far on other sites in CT.

Cheers,
Mardi Dickinson
Norwalk, CT
http://kymrygroup.com/