[CT Birds] Good Gannet advice

sean at seanmurthaart.com sean at seanmurthaart.com
Fri Apr 12 15:25:02 EDT 2013

Based on other reports of Gannets throughout the Sound, I decided to spend lunch at Greenwich Point.  I didn't try to keep count, but Gannets were almost continuously in sight in the background- and a few times in the foreground!  One came so close I almost thought I would need to view it through the sunroof of my car!  The most were concentrated on the West side of the point,  nearly at the mouth of Greenwich Cove.

Gannets were the stars of the show but supporting cast included several HORNED GREBES, most now in breeding plumage,  large numbers of BUFFLEHEAD,  a few flyby BONAPARTE'S GULLS, and a YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER picking from the seaweed cast up on the beach.

-Sean Murtha

www.seanmurthaart.com