[CT Birds] Horned and Eared

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 14 15:42:26 EDT 2013

I've been in touch with Ed and thanked him for the great pix. It's worth noting
that right now, with Horned Grebes moving in numbers and also molting
heavily, all kinds of funky individuals show up. This tends to generate Eared
Grebe reports. Eared Grebes show up at various times of year, but the midst of
the northbound Horned Grebe migration isn't a time that tends to produce them.
With birds in heavy molt, it pays to look a structure, especially the head
(squared off in Horned, peaked in Eared), but molt can even alter head shape
temporarily. Bill shape is also important but often harder to see. Ed's photo
showed the chestnut neck of a Horned Grebe. In Britain the bird we call Eared
Grebe is known as Black-necked Grebe.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury