[CT Birds] House Finches taking refuge in Old Greenwich

shootsnaps at aol.com shootsnaps at aol.com
Fri Apr 12 16:28:38 EDT 2013

Very windy in O. Gwch today.

There have been two pair of house finches visiting our feeders for a few weeks. Always male & female together, sometimes all four, accompanied by a third male, but never 6 total. Today, all five took refuge on the lee side of our house (S West side) in a crab apple tree near our front door, and on a ledge under the cover of the porch. We could see them munching on the newly sprouted leaves on the tree. Was that for the water, or are they vegitarian as well?

Also on the ground up to 7 M. Doves, a Robin, M/F Cardinals, 1 F Cowbird. Up to 5 yellow finches at a time on the feeders.

Have had to chase the squirrels all day.

AL Scuterud
Old Greenwich