[CT Birds] Siskins and Redpolls

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 14 20:35:18 EDT 2013

Noticed Robert Dixons post of 195 days of Siskin being seen at his feeders, and
others including myself having continual Redpolls all winter as well. This shows
me how desperate they were this winter in finding food. Feeders are mostly the
only food they found, other than ground seeds like weeds etc when they could
find them. Just a real bad year for winter finches finding any wild food at all
here in our State.

Of interest - Saw a Pine Warbler today feeding within dead leaves by the
roadside. He was scattering the leaves with his head and bill and feet every
which way, with leaves flying about. He did this for 15 mins, and seemed to be
getting results. Reminded me of my chickens scratching about in leaf litter. I
also have seen Carolina Wrens do the same within dead leaves.

No insects above? lets try finding them below under leaves...Paul Carrier