[CT Birds] local ponds in Orange

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 11:20:18 EDT 2013

4/15 Orange
On my errands this morning, I stopped in some local ponds in Orange.
Wright's Pond- 1 Pair of  WOOD DUCKS (new species for the pond), swam
through pond and then hunkered down in back of pond;  1 RING NECKED DUCK (
5 were there a few weeks ago), 2 PAIRS CANADA GEESE, 4 MALE MALLARDS, 2
KILLDEER,  and many Red winged blackbirds singing.
Old Tavern Rd. Pond- 1 GREAT EGRET in breeding plummage-beautiful green by
lores and wings/tail all plumed out;
a pair of  MALLARDS,  1 NORTHERN FLICKER, AMERICAN ROBINS covering the
fields, COMMON GRACKLES.
Pond by Racebrook Rd. commercial area
4- GREEN WINGED TEAL, 3 MALLARDS,  Numerous Red WINGED BLACK BIRDS, CANADA
GEESE,
Indian Lake -TREE SWALLOWS, CANADA GEESE & MALLARDS.
Bev Propen, Orange