[CT Birds] New to birding

Anthony Zemba ajzemba at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 09:35:08 EDT 2013

Hi Chris and Alyssa
In about another week or so the Forest surrounding Millers Pond State Park
here in my home town of Durham will come alive with returning songbirds.
That would be a short drive from where you live.  These forests are home to
Broad-winged Hawks, Ovenbirds, Wood Thrushes, Veerys, Yellow-throated
Vireos, Red-eyed Vireos, Black and White Warblers, Eastern Wood Pewees,
Great-crested Flycatchers, etc.

The brushy margins between the pond trail loop and adjacent forest often
attract Gray Catbirds, Blue-winged Warblers, Chestnut-sided Warblers,
Eastern Towhees, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, etc.

In addition to these migratory songbirds, there are resident bird species
that can be found year round such as Barred Owls, Hairy Woodpecker, Downy
Woodpeckers, and the chickadees, nuthatches, titmouse that you see at your
house.

Check out Durham meadows  too beginning now for a chance to see American
Kestrel, Bobolink, Eastern Bluebird, Eastern Meadowlark, various swallows,
Black Vulture, Turkey Vulture, Red-tailed Hawk, Great Blue Heron and
visiting shorebirds

This should get you started at least

Welcome to birding!

Anthony Zemba
Director of Conservation Services, Connecticut Audubon Society