[CT Birds] Assorted, with Crane

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Sun Apr 21 22:15:30 EDT 2013

Passing these along.

 From Annie and Mike Perko, Colchester
After birding all day stopped at Cabela's on way home.
At 6:55 P.M. over pond flying East was a Sandhill Crane.
100% sure. (We see them in Maine every summer).

 From Charlotte Matthews
4/20/2013 - Stratford, Clover Field - Peregrine Falcon circling over field around 10 a.m.  (also saw one a week ago - there for baseball games)

 From Dorothy and John Truman
Friday 4/19 and Saturday 4/20
White Memorial along boardwalk from parking area at end of South Lake St. to LITTLE POND 2 PALM WARBLERS
On Friday 4/19 at same location also saw 1 RUBY CROWNED AND 1 GOLDEN CROWNED KINGLET, A PAIR OF  WOOD DUCK;
also  4/19 on the pond 2 PAIR BUFFLEHEADS, 1 GREAT BLUE HERON, 1 OSPREY CRUISING OVER THE POND.

 From Roy Harvey:
04/21/13 - Southbury, Bent of the River -- Five Purple Finch (3M, 2F).  I rarely see these; one of the males in particular was amazing color, and I could easily see how a female might make one think of a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak.  Also 1 Black-and-white Warbler, a few Palm Warblers, several Yellow-rumped Warblers, one Louisiana Waterthrush, two or more Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, and singing Ruby-crowned Kinglets all over the place.  Also several Savannah Sparrows, 3 Broad-winged Haws, and an Eastern Towhee.

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT