[CT Birds] Extralimital robbery?

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Wed Apr 17 09:44:01 EDT 2013

Just skimmed the article due to being busy at work, I'll read it more thoroughly later. Since I no longer keep a "list," getting or not getting a "State Bird" is much less stressful for me I must say! It also makes for an easier approach to reviewing records for ARCC since I don't have to watch myself for potential bias on a bird I saw or didn't see. But this is a very interesting story and I think CT birders should read it to better understand the process of keeping an official state bird list as correct as humanly possible.

Birders can sometimes hate the word hybrid. But it is important to remember that evolution hasn't stopped (and won't stop) and many faunal species currently share DNA in significant portions of the populations. Some are even being "absorbed" so-to-speak by others, such as Blue-winged Warbler and Golden-winged Warbler. Not to mention how we still struggle with the biological definition of the word "species" for crying out loud. So it may be easy for me to say as a non-lister, but getting it right is more important than anyone's state list. Thanks Roy!

David Provencher
in error, and delete it.  Thank you.