[CT Birds] Greenwich - Stamford Birds

Brenda Inskeep binskeep at optonline.net
Sat Apr 20 14:55:58 EDT 2013

Saturday, 4/20/13

Bruce Park, Greenwich: Tree & Barn Swallows, 1 Brown Creeper, 1 singing Winter Wren, multiple Ruby-crowned Kinglets, 1 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, 1 Palm Warbler, multiple Pine Warblers, 1 Black-and-white Warbler, 2 Eastern Towhees, 2 Swamp Sparrows - all birds staying low at eye level for awesome views.

On Harbor Drive at the marina in Shippan, there are 2 Lesser Scaup remaining and some Bufflehead.

At my house in Shippan after the rain: Northern Parula, singing.

Shippan Point: 1 Common Loon in breeding plumage, 20 Brant - and - the Northern Gannets continue.  I stopped counting at 20.  Today and the last couple of times I've gone to the end of Stamford Avenue, there have been several that were very close to the CT shore, today was no exception as a single bird passed within a couple hundred feet flying east.  Many were plunge diving, which is mind boggling to see and two sat on the water thereafter for a different perspective.  All were adult.  I haven't a clue about this, but I wonder if these birds are part of the thousands I observed at the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel in Virginia earlier this week.  It was the kind of show that makes one think they will never have the opportunity to see in that proportion again, so amazing that I drove the nearly 20 mile bridge/tunnel three times and stopped for a couple hours at the north and south parking areas just to watch.  There were gannets the entire length of the bridge in all directions - to the right, left, up, down - sitting on the water and plunge diving.  Fortunately there were few other drivers on the road so I was able to take my time.  In an area that is restricted to access, just off shore it looked as if it were snowing, there were so many gannets dotting the sky, plunging and sitting all over the water.  While watching them from the parking lots, they streamed overhead, too many to count, their eyes clearly visible even without binoculars they were so close.  I don't consider myself qualified to estimate the number of so many birds seen, but I'd think it was easily 10,000.  It was well worth going an hour out of the way to drive home.  Highly recommended if anyone needs a gannet fix in large numbers!

Enjoy Spring -
Brenda Inskeep
Stamford, CT