[CT Birds] Question re 1000's of Dead Lady Bugs and today's Stratford Birds

Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Sun Apr 21 20:29:13 EDT 2013

Today I walked from Long Beach to the old Pleasure Beach bridge looking not only for birds but sea glass.  Just after turning the corner at the breakwaters and heading toward the bridge I noticed in the high tide line 1000's and 1000's of dead lady bugs.  There were some with spots, some without, some with fewer or more spots.  I couldn't find any alive.  I couldn't find any green plant life in the immediate area to look for live ones either. I took photos and brought home some dead ones in a jar.  I have never seen anything like this before.  Has anyone else?  Any ideas why the mass death and why I only found them along the high tide mark?  The area  along that stretch of beach had a strong gasoline smell all the way to the bridge.

On a more happy note - I watched a pair of Osprey go from the first and second platform.  One game to the nest with a fish (I assume the male) and the female flew off to other nest with him in chase.    I also saw two Piping Plovers utilizing the fenced in area.  Three female Boat Tail Grackles and one male in a small pool just before the Osprey nests on the gut side.  A flicker in the holey tree next to the burnt tree.

The marshes at the Warehouse on Long Beach Blvd had Am. Gold Finch, Palm Warbler, Hermit Thrush, Flicker, 3 Kinglets, 2 Savannah Sparrows, Kestrel, Great and Snowy Egrets, Harrier, Yellow Legs, Eastern Phoebe, 5 Rough winged swallows with one barn Swallow,  usual Starlings and Robins, 1 WIld Turkey in a tree which I thought was an owl from a distance LOL.  And high up in the trees of the small dirt lot were two warblers - I'm not sure what - either black and white or blue and white and the other greenish/yellow.  Also heard two birds calling back and forth to each other I couldn't find.  The call was a tweeeeeettttttt zzz d d d d.

Elm Street has two pairs of nesting Black Crown Night Herons  (how do the eggs/babies not fall out of those sparse twig nests?).  And there was a lot of Monk Parakeet activity at Shakespeare Theatre.

Donna Caporaso

Stratford, CT