Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Mon Apr 22 08:14:43 EDT 2013

Correction...Nesting Herons are Yellow Crowned

Donna Caporaso
Stratford, CT

------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 20:29:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: Donna Caporaso <donnacap at aol.com>
To: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
Subject: [CT Birds] Question re 1000's of Dead Lady Bugs and today's
	Stratford Birds

Today I walked from Long Beach to the old Pleasure Beach bridge looking not only
for birds but sea glass.  Just after turning the corner at the breakwaters and
heading toward the bridge I noticed in the high tide line 1000's and 1000's of
dead lady bugs.  There were some with spots, some without, some with fewer or
more spots.  I couldn't find any alive.  I couldn't find any green plant life in
the immediate area to look for live ones either. I took photos and brought home
some dead ones in a jar.  I have never seen anything like this before.  Has
anyone else?  Any ideas why the mass death and why I only found them along the
high tide mark?  The area  along that stretch of beach had a strong gasoline
smell all the way to the bridge.

On a more happy note - I watched a pair of Osprey go from the first and second
platform.  One game to the nest with a fish (I assume the male) and the female
flew off to other nest with him in chase.    I also saw two Piping Plovers
utilizing the fenced in area.  Three female Boat Tail Grackles and one male in a
small pool just before the Osprey nests on the gut side.  A flicker in the holey
tree next to the burnt tree.

The marshes at the Warehouse on Long Beach Blvd had Am. Gold Finch, Palm
Warbler, Hermit Thrush, Flicker, 3 Kinglets, 2 Savannah Sparrows, Kestrel, Great
and Snowy Egrets, Harrier, Yellow Legs, Eastern Phoebe, 5 Rough winged swallows
with one barn Swallow,  usual Starlings and Robins, 1 WIld Turkey in a tree
which I thought was an owl from a distance LOL.  And high up in the trees of the
small dirt lot were two warblers - I'm not sure what - either black and white or
blue and white and the other greenish/yellow.  Also heard two birds calling back
and forth to each other I couldn't find.  The call was a tweeeeeettttttt zzz d d
d d.

Elm Street has two pairs of nesting Black Crown Night Herons  (how do the
eggs/babies not fall out of those sparse twig nests?).  And there was a lot of
Monk Parakeet activity at Shakespeare Theatre.

Donna Caporaso

Stratford, CT