[CT Birds] Hammo Gull and Herring Gulls

julian hough jrhough1 at snet.net
Tue Apr 23 22:33:21 EDT 2013

Hi John,

I suspect the bird you had was an adult Herring Gull. At this time of year, it is not uncommon to see birds with varying tinges of yellow to the feet and legs as opposed to the pink legs you've come to expect. The bill pattern, with what were I assume to be narrow dark markings on each mandible, is actually quite typical of adult smithsonianus at this time of year(European birds of the race argenteus and argentatus do not generally show such a pattern).

The pale eye as you summised is a bit of a death knell for a California Gull too.

Hope this helps.

Julian Hough