[CT Birds] Peregrine snacks

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Sat Apr 27 19:25:48 EDT 2013

I work at the Republican-American newspaper in Waterbury. The big brick clock tower visible from I-84 is part of our building, a former train station. Peregrine Falcons, which are apparently nesting under one of the decks of the I-84-Route 8 "Mixmaster," often use the tower to feast on their latest catches. The evidence drops to our parking lot.

I just came in from viewing the breastless body of an American Woodcock, a favorite of these Peregrines, and the bodiless head of a Belted Kingfisher, the first of those I've seen in local discard pile.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury