[CT Birds] European goldfinch?

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 08:55:19 EDT 2013

4/22  Orange backyard thistle feeder
About 8:15 this morning I took a double take at my thistle feeder.  Trying
to figure out what exotic finch(2 of them) or warbler was sitting on the
thistle feeder. Very brief stay at my feeder &  Before they flew off (and
I'm still trying to relocate them), I made mental note and a brief sketch.
When I looked up in Sibley's and my  Princeton "Birds of Europe" guide, it
seems that they were European goldfinches....
dark crimson  vertical mask from crown to under chin , with rest of of
head-whitish, and buffy sides of breast when wings were at sides. But
the head was what caught my eye, and that is what I am matching to the bird
Apparently, around here, they are likely to be escaped exotics.
But that really woke me up this morning.
Bev Propen, Oange