[CT Birds] Bird Survey Volunteer Needed:

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Mon Apr 22 10:06:35 EDT 2013

The Appalachian Mountain Club's Northwest Camp Committee is seeking a volunteer that would conduct a Breeding Landbird Study of the 120 acres we manage on northwest shoulder of Bear Mountain in CT. Free weekday lodging could be arranged.

The camp/cabin property is located on the Taconic plateau and within the Schenob Brook watershed. According to the Berkshire chapter of The Nature Conservancy, 41 species of rare/endangered flora and fauna exist in this watershed. They further state that this watershed is the most diverse watershed east of the Mississippi river.

The Committee is a volunteer managed facility committee of the AMC and has been managing this spectacular property since 1951. The cabin is made of American chestnut and sleeps six with a tent platform that sleeps four. It is located under the canopy of an old growth hemlock forest adjacent to a pristine stream with native brook trout and the very uncommon Slimy sculpin.

For the past several years the committee has hosted a Perseids Meteor Shower Weekend with a short hike up Mt Riga for viewing on Friday and/or Saturday night depending on weather. During the day of Saturday and Sunday, August 10th and 11th we would hope to have a mini bio-blitz and learn what makes this property we manage so diverse.

If you are interested in helping us learn more about the natural diversity of our very special NW Camp property please contact Rod Parlee, Co-Chair, AMC NW Camp at 860-306-7250 or captundra at aol.com

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut