[CT Birds] Hammonassett

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 17:29:59 EDT 2013

4/28  11:45AM-1:30Pm
My husband & I had a nice "non-birding" walk through Hammonassett today.  I
did see lots of birds, but what I didn't expect were so many jellyfish on
the wrackline and in the tidal pools.
I'm not familiar with life cycle of jellyfish, but is this early for them
to be in these waters?  I was reading that waters off the Northeast coast
(N. Carolina to Maine) are the warmest they have been in over 150 years.
Are these jellyfish  early for this area  (because of climate change)?  are
they a good source of food for shorebirds, ducks etc?
I saw my FOY Common Yellowthroat (nice male) in bushes by pond near nature
center.  Two Willets in that pond mating.  A FOY  Field sparrow on path by
Willard's island along the marsh.
Barn swallows, Tree swallows, Great egrets, snowy egrets, Great blue heron,
Purple martins, common grackles, Red winged blackbirds,
Black ducks, Brant, D.C. Cormorants, Robins, song sparrows, mute swans, 2
Common loons, Cardinals, American crows, Greater yellow legs, Ring billed,
Herring & 2 Greater black backed gulls,
but missed the Hooded warbler.
Bev Propen, Orange