[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club Schedule for May

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Sun Apr 28 20:38:42 EDT 2013

Following is the New Haven Bird Club’s schedule of activities during
May.  For those who forgot to send in their reservation for the
Annual Banquet, it’s not too late if you get your check in the mail
in the next two or three days.

Thursday, May 9, 2013.  Annual Banquet, Open to the Public.  Guest
Speaker, Goeff LeBaron, National Audubon Society - The Christmas Bird
Count: From Historical Conservation to 21st Century Citizen Science.
Amarante's Restaurant, 62 Cove St, New Haven.  Social hour at 6 PM,
dinner at 7 PM.  Reservation with payment and choice of entrée (Beef,
Chicken, or Vegetarian) required in advance, $35.00 per person, cash
bar.   For more information and banquet reservation form visit
www.newhavenbirdclub.org. Bring cash to participate in raffle.

Field Trips:

First Wednesday Walk: East Rock Park, New Haven.  Wednesday, May 1,
8:00 am.  Free and open to the public. Join us for a walk in one of
the best places in the state to see warblers and other spring
migrants.  It is not unusual to see 15-20 species of warblers in this
park on any given day in early May.  Rarities such as Prothonotary,
Kentucky, and Cape May Warbler are possible.  Meet at the Eli Whitney
Museum parking lot near the covered bridge.  Leaders—Renee Baade and
Frank Mantlik.  Contact person—Tina Green: 203 247-2660,
tina at renaissancestudios.com.

East Rock Park, New Haven.  Saturday, May 4, 8:00 am. Free and open
to the public.  Join Ranger Dan Barvir at this premier site for
viewing warblers and a great variety of other spring migrants. We’ll
meet at the Rice Field (baseball field) end of East Rock Park..
Leader-Ranger Dan Barvir: 203.946.6086.

Bent of the River Wildlife Sanctuary, Southbury.  Sunday, May 5, 7:30
am. Free and open to the public.  Explore a prime birding location
along the Pomperaug River in Southbury where more than 100 species of
birds have been observed in a single day.  This beautiful and highly
diverse, 650-acre habitat is owned and maintained by the National
Audubon Society.  Take Exit 14 off Rte.84. Go north on Rte. 172 ,
then turn left on East Flat Hill Road, at intersection with church.
Continue to sanctuary entrance on left.  The trip involves moderately
strenuous hiking.  Leader-Roy Harvey: 203.888.5757, rmharvey at snet.net.

SECOND Wednesday Walk: East Rock Park, New Haven.  Wednesday, May 8,
8:00 am Free and open to the public. By popular demand, we’ll have a
second mid-week walk at East Rock this year. We’ll continue viewing
the bounty of migrants the park is famous for. Meet at the Eli
Whitney Museum parking lot. Leaders are Jake Musser, John Oshlick,
and Paul Wolter.  Contact—Tina Green: 203.247.2660,
tina at renaissancestudios.com

Big Day Marathon.  Saturday, May 11, 6:00 AM. Free and open to the
public.  This fun event, steeped in tradition, will begin at East
Rock Park at 6:00 am. After seeing 50+ species there, the group will
continue to other locations in New Haven County to search for more
birds.  Eventually, the group will head to the coast to add shorebird
and waterfowl species to the day’s list. More than 100 species are
likely to be seen on this trip.  Leader—John Oshlick: 203 584-1955 or
john.oshlic at yahoo.com.

Naugatuck State Forest, Naugatuck.  Sunday, May 12, 7:00 am. Free and
open to the public. It’s a treat to visit this less well-known but
excellent local birding location.  The extensive forests are home to
a variety of woodland species, including Hooded and Blackburnian
Warblers.  There are open fields where you can find Eastern Bluebirds
and Field Sparrows.  Chestnut-sided Warblers sing along the forest
edges.  Last year, we found a Lawrence’s Warbler here. Meet at 7:00
am at the commuter lot  off  Rte. 8 at exit 25.   Leader—Chris
Loscalzo: 203.389.6508, closcalz at optonline.net.

River Road, Kent.  Wednesday, May 15, 7:00 am. Free and open to the
public. The New Haven Bird Club traveled to River Road in May 1991
and documented the first nesting of Yellow-throated Warbler in CT.
We celebrate the 22nd anniversary of this discovery with a long-
overdue return to River Road at the peak of spring migration.   The
diversity of species found in this woodland bordering the Housatonic
River is remarkable and includes ducks, sandpipers, herons, vultures,
flycatchers, cuckoos, hummingbirds, kingfishers, vireos, swallows,
wood-warblers, thrushes, wrens, waxwings, gnatcatchers, raptors,
tanagers, grosbeaks, and orioles. Many specialty breeders in
northwestern Connecticut are seen here, including Acadian and Least
Flycatchers, Cerulean and Worm-eating Warblers, Yellow-throated and
Blue-headed Vireos, and Winter Wren. We bird by car odometer with
territorial birds staked out beforehand. Bring the Sibley Guide to
Trees, if you have it. Meet at Amity Shopping Center, New Haven at
7:00 am.  The carpool leaves no later than 7:15. Travel is by Routes
63, 67, and 7.  We arrive in Kent at the old train station by 8:30
am. The train station is several hundred yards north of the
intersection of Rtes. 7 and 341, on  the  east  side  of  Rte. 7.
Leader—Steve Broker: 203.272.5192 (cell:  203.747.6843), or
ls.broker at cox.net.

Nehantic State Forest and Hartman Park, Lyme.  May 18, 6:30 am. Free
and open to the public.  Join us as we explore two prime birding
locations in Lyme.  Nehantic State Forest is a 1,200-acre woodland,
home to Hooded and Worm-eating Warblers and many other species.
There are large ponds where you can find Wood Ducks, herons,
flycatchers and other species. Nearby Hartman Park is known for its
breeding population of Cerulean Warblers.  Meet at the commuter lot
at exit 55 off I-95 in Branford at 6:30 am or the Keeny Road entrance
for Nehantic SF on Route 156 in Lyme at 7:00 am.  Leader—Chris
Loscalzo: 203 389-6508, closcalz at optonline.net.

Barn Island Wildlife Management Area, Stonington.  Sunday, May 19,
7:00 am. Free and open to the public.  This will be our 10th annual
trip to this excellent birding spot in southeastern CT. We meet at
the commuter lot at Exit 55 of I-95 and then carpool to the refuge.
The management area consists of large expanses of salt marsh, tidal
pools, wetlands, woodlands, and open fields.  We should see wading
birds, shorebirds, and area residents such as Saltmarsh Sparrow,
Marsh Wren, White-eyed Vireo, Willow Flycatcher, Bobolink, and many
other species. Last year, a Black-billed Cuckoo was seen on this
trip.  Leader—Chris Loscalzo: 203 389-6508, closcalz at optonline.net.

Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director