[CT Birds] Mega- Rarities in region

Roy Harvey ctbirdreport at ftml.net
Mon Apr 29 12:52:07 EDT 2013

Passing this along for Frank.

Hi all,
Late April and May are an exciting time for the possibility of very rare
birds showing up in our area. Here is a sampling of the hot birds in the
northeast recently:

BAHAMA WOODSTAR - Lancaster Co., PA, 4/22-4/24 (1st US record since
1981, and 1st away from FL).
LITTLE EGRET - Nova Scotia, Canada, 4/21-4/27.
NORTHERN LAPWING - Bolton, Worcester Co., MA, 4/27-28.
SMITH'S LONGSPUR - Shawangunk NWR, Ulster Co., NY, 4/28 (found yesterday
by Tom Burke & Gail Benson).
VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW - Ottawa, Ontario, 4/25-26.
SAY'S PHOEBE - Prospect Park, Brooklyn, NY, 4/27.
MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRD - Willimstown, MA, 4/28.
Scattered, widespread reports of overshoot YELLOW-THROATED WARBLERS and
BLUE GROSBEAKS.

Also of note is an EGYPTIAN GOOSE (likely escape) 4/28, found by Vanessa
Caccamise (photos by A.J. Hand) at Sherwood Is. SP, Westport, CT.
I will post some photos of the AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER (Stratford 4/28)
soon.

Keep your eyes to the skies!

Frank Mantlik
Stratford