[CT Birds] Hurd Park

twomirers at comcast.net twomirers at comcast.net
Mon Apr 29 16:55:25 EDT 2013

Monday, Apr. 29-Alberta and I scouted Hurd Park in East Hampton in preparation for a field trip this Sunday that we are leading for the East Hampton Rec Dept. We hadn’t birded there in many years and were not sure what we would find. On the plus side, there are still Hooded Warblers here; we got a nice look at a singing male. Also had 2 Worm-eating Warblers. On the negative side, large swaths of the forest floor have become a monoculture of Japanese barberry. It seems to have even outcompeted the multiflora rose. So a careful tick check was a required follow-up.
Yesterday (4/28), we had overflights by 2 Peregrine Falcons a few seconds apart as we drove on I-691 in Meriden. Also yesterday, had a Pileated WP along Mountain Rd. in Seymour.

Rob Mirer
Moodus