[CT Birds] Granby -- 2 Rusty Blackbirds, late Palm Warbler, 2 GBHE nests

John Weeks aerie.john at cox.net
Wed May 1 13:36:54 EDT 2013

On private property (with owner's permission) today in Granby.  Wonderful, close-up looks at two Rusty Blackbirds.  Two active Great Blue Heron nests -- the first I've found in Granby.  Trilliums in bloom, deer ticks rampant.  Full list below.

John Weeks

May 1, 2013 6:50 AM - 8:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
Comments:     Varied habitat -- woods, marsh, beaver pond.  Access is private, strictly by permission of the owner.
44 species

Canada Goose  1
Wood Duck  2
Mallard  1
Hooded Merganser  2 females
Great Blue Heron  3     Two active nests.
Green Heron  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2
Downy Woodpecker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  1
Blue Jay  1
American Crow  1
Black-capped Chickadee  1
Tufted Titmouse  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  1
Carolina Wren  1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  4
Wood Thrush  1
Ovenbird  1
Louisiana Waterthrush  1
Northern Waterthrush  3
Black-and-white Warbler  2
Common Yellowthroat  1
American Redstart  1
Northern Parula  1
Yellow Warbler  2
Palm Warbler  1
Pine Warbler  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler  1
Eastern Towhee  1
Field Sparrow  1 not in suitable habitat; clearly a transient
Song Sparrow  3
Swamp Sparrow  2
White-throated Sparrow  1
Northern Cardinal  4
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  1
Red-winged Blackbird  6
Rusty Blackbird  2     Seen extremely well -- one drank from a small brook 15 ft away from me.
Common Grackle  2
Brown-headed Cowbird  2
American Goldfinch  1

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S13953654