[CT Birds] Delmarva birding

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Thu May 2 15:11:40 EDT 2013

On the trip to Ocean City, Maryland last weekend, Jen and I managed
quite a bit of birding in the area. We birded Assateague Island NWR on
both the Chincoteague Island, Virginia side and the Maryland side. We
also birded that area around Ocean City, Maryland and from the Cape
May/Lewes ferry. The complete report with many images will be posted
on my blog in a few days.

Here are a few highlights: from Chincoteague Island NWR-

17 Black-necked Stilt
1 Avocet
1 BLACK-TAILED GODWIT- reported E-Bird alert
15 Marbled Godwit
300 Dowitchers (mostly Long-billed)
6,000 Dunlin
17 Whimbrel
CLapper Rails
many Tric-colored Herons
3 species Egrets including Cattle Egret
Glossy Ibis
Brown Pelicans
many additional shorebirds- Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Least
Sandpiper. BLack-bellied Plover, Sanderling, Stilt Sandpiper, Willet
and Oystercatcher
100's Laughing Gulls

Assateague NWR, Maryland-

Willets, Yellowlegs and Oystercatchers.