[CT Birds] Nehantic SF Prothonotary

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 4 19:22:13 EDT 2013

Just reread my Goshawk post, grammatical nightmare! That's what happens when
posting in a rush.

The Protho at the Norwich Pond boat ramp this morning was very aggressive.
Unfortunately it did not stay by the boat ramp long at all. It flew right at
my face like a hard thrown dart the second I pished. Reminded me of an
Adelaide's Warbler in some scrub I parked next to once in Puerto Rico. I
heard the bird calling so I pished from the driver's seat and the little so
and so flew at me like the fifth warbler of the apocalypse! Thought it was
coming into the rental car with me for a second. The point is, this Protho
seemed maxed out on testosterone and likely will quickly find a spot to be
territorial. I suspect it is still somewhere in the forest either around
Norwich Pond or perhaps Uncas pond (which has some good habitat along the
north end, which does require a canoe or kayak to access unfortunately).
There are a few other decent spots in the forest for it too. Anyway, this is
the just the latest of quite a few Prothonotarys found in Nehantic over the
years (I've stumbled on 4 myself over the last 15 years or so) and I hope
birders will keep an eye and ear out for it, as I will. And try not to drive
over the guy with binoculars looking every which way but where's he's going
while quickly walking the forest road. I can't afford the medical bills.

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England