[CT Birds] East winds and migration

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 10:11:39 EDT 2013

As Chris Loscalzo pointed out, we may be in store for winds with an
easterly component over the next few days and possibly beyond. This does
indeed increase our chances of running into a phalarope or two, at the
coast or inland, during migration.

But during passerine migration, east winds are usually not a good thing if
you're interested in seeing warblers at your favorite hotspot. Just a
slight easterly component to the wind is usually enough to divert the bulk
of migrants just to our west. The birds keep migrating, but fewer end up in
CT during these conditions. Breeding birds will continue to return, and
migrants will still trickle through, but the migrants will be less numerous
on east winds during May.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT