[CT Birds] CACC

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Wed May 1 14:25:42 EDT 2013

5/1  Milford, Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center,  10am-1PM,  sunny,
60-65F, very low tide.
At 10AM, the female osprey was on the eggs, and male was on the perch
eating a fish.
all morning the male osprey had to contend with the third osprey in the
area.  Our male (all while clutching the fish in its talons) had to
constantly chase the other osprey away.  Our male screeched, flapped its
wings and pursued the third osprey, only to have it return again and again.
Birds on the marsh and grounds:
4 Purple martins in the gourds condo with house sparrows. On the marsh (far
out) were 800-1000 Brant, 2 mallards, Ring billed gulls, Mute swans,  7
Greater yellowlegs,
1 Great Black backed gull,
And the 5 Great Egrets & 4 D. C. Cormorants combined their skills to get
the fish.  The Egrets would flap their wings and dance around, then stab at
the fish, while the Cormorants were swimming around and then dove for the
fish as well.
We have 2 Tree swallows nesting in the nest box, Common Grackles, 2 Red
Winged blackbirds, 3 Cardinals, 5 Goldfinches, House finches, 2 Mourning
doves, 2 American robins, 2 Song sparrows,  1 Mockingbird, 2 Cowbirds (male
& female).
Bev Propen, orange