[CT Birds] 2 herring gulls

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Sun May 5 15:07:29 EDT 2013

5/5  My husband and I were having lunch at Marnick's in Stratford.  We just
walked on the beach a few minutes afterwards and I watched
2 Herring gulls (must have been a mated pair).  One of them was taking a
whelk type shell in its bill, flying up, dropping it onto the rocks.  It
repeated this at least 6 times, each time poking into the shell.  The
second to last time, it managed to get part of the creature inside, out of
the shell, and by the last drop, the gull managed to extricate the entire
"animal" from the shell.  The Herring gull ate a bit of it, but then gave
the rest to its presumed mate. This is the first time I have seen gulls
sharing, rather than competing and stealing food from each other.
Bev Propen, orange