[CT Birds] LA waterthrush at Sheep Farm in Groton

Bruce A. bka11 at comcast.net
Mon May 6 11:31:49 EDT 2013

Should be exit 88

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom and Dorothy Wadlow
Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2013 8:32 PM
To: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
Subject: [CT Birds] LA waterthrush at Sheep Farm in Groton

Several years ago a number of birders participated in a bird survey of the
Sheep Farm property in Groton CT to help Groton Open Spaces Assn submit a
grant to help acquire the property.  At the time, it seemed like perfect
Louisiana waterthrush habitat-a brook with slow and fast sections in wooded
territory.  No one saw the bird there during the survey, which had to end on
May 1 in order to submit the proposal for the grant.  The proposal was
successful and GOSA subsequently acquired the land.

This morning on a walk at Sheep Farm I heard a Louisiana water thrush
singing along the creed.  Although I stalked him for half an hour I never
managed to see the bird, but the song was classic LAWA-two long whistles
followed by a warble which ran out of steam at the end.   I picked it up
first near the red trail at the north end of the property and followed him
south to where the red and blue trails intersect at the stream crossing.

The Sheep Farm it located just south of I95 at Exit 89.  Take a left at
Hazelnut Hill Rd at the entrance to the Pequot Medical Center.  There is now
a sign directing you to a right turn into the parking lot.

Several wood thrushes were also singing on my walk this morning.

Dorothy Wadlow