[CT Birds] Pished Barred Owl

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Tue May 7 18:21:19 EDT 2013

I've had this happen probably four times in the past year. I stopped pishing while in conifer forests over the winter because it happened one too many times for my liking during a difficult winter for them. They might hear the pishing and think it's a mouse or vole.

Speaking, sort of, of creatures that have had rough winters, there are barely any chipmunks around. I saw one in my yard today for the first time in several weeks. Barred Owls appear to be working on a nice rebound. I know there are multiple hooting males within a mile or so of my house, and I had a pair of what I assume were territorial males calling back and forth in daylight on Sunday at McLean Refuge in Granby.

Most all the songbirds I've been seeing lately appear to be on territory as well. Perhaps the unsettled weather will drop some migrants into our area. We could use the rain, it's getting dry out there.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT