[CT Birds] Worm-eating.......Cooper's?

teustis at killingworthlibrary.org teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Wed May 8 09:49:36 EDT 2013

I actually witnessed "worming" by a pair of red-shouldered hawks a few years ago. They were working over a large field between some neighbors' houses, and I was struck by their odd behavior: they were acting very much like robins, hopping along the grass, occasionally scratching, and finally pulling up worms. I had no idea that birds of prey did that - but I guess if the rodent population is a little low, you take what you can get! (I also once saw a robin tackle a small black snake, so you really can't assume...)
~ Tammy Eustis, Chester