[CT Birds] Fallouts coming

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Thu May 9 15:54:34 EDT 2013

We have to bear in mind that this is only May 9. In most of the years I've
been birding (which is a high number) there were seldom any major flights
this early. Some crazy early springs in recent years have very quickly
skewed our idea of what constitutes a normal migration. When I did the World
Series of Birding in the 1980s, the date of the event would be set based on
a variety of non-birding factors. If it fell on an early date, say May 12,
we'd all be bummed because it meant migrants might be very scarce. If it was
on May 17 we'd be happy. Before that, in the 1960s and 1970s, we'd be
looking for a peak around May 15. When the first Blackpoll warblers arrived
just after that we knew the migration was just about over. Now we're
sometimes getting (but not this year) Blackpolls as early as May 1. In the
old days seeing Myrtles and Blackpolls in numbers on the same day was
unheard of. No more.

This year is closer to what once was normal migration timing before the
recent early trend.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury