[CT Birds] New Spring Programs from the Coastal Center

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Fri May 10 17:34:04 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I hope you can join us for one of our upcoming programs. We've added a new series, Hidden Gems, where we'll be exploring Milford's Parks for bird life. Milford has some amazing parks and these walks should be a lot of fun. Call Louise at 203-878-7440 x 502 to register. See you soon.

Frank Gallo, Director
Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center
1 Milford Point, Milford 06460
203-878-7440

Birding for Beginners
Wednesday, May 15, 7–9 p.m.(classroom)
Sat., May 18,  9-11:30 a.m. (field trip)
Learn the basics foridentifying birds on your own! During this fun and comprehensive hands-oncourse, longtime instructor and expert birder Frank Gallo will teach you IDskills as well as how to choose and use field guides and binoculars, and whereto find birds locally. The course culminates with a field trip to a local park.No experience is necessary. Bring the "Peterson Field Guide to EasternBirds." (Field guides are available for sale at the Coastal Center.)Fee: $75/person. $65 Seniors.

How to Learn Birds!
Tuesdays, May 28 &, June4, 7 – 9 p.m. (2 nights in-classroom)
Saturday, June 1, 9 a.m. – noon (field trip)
Discover bird watching withnaturalist Frank Gallo. Frank leads bird tours worldwide, is a member of Connecticut’s Avian RareRecords Committee, and a past president of the New Haven Bird Club. Hisenthusiastic hands-on style quickly teaches you how to identify birds usingfield guides and observational skills. This in-depth course culminates with afield trip to find birds at a local birding hot spot. Bring the Peterson FieldGuide to Eastern Birds. (Field guides also for sale in class.)  Meet atthe Center. Fee: $105/person. $85 Seniors.

Hidden Gems: Bird Walks in Milford Parks Series
7:45 – 8:45 a.m.
Saturday, May 18: Mondo Pond – Warblers and othermigrants
Saturday, May 25: Wilcox Park - Warblers and othermigrants
Saturday, June 1: Milford Point – Rare shorebirds, terns andgulls
Saturday, June 15: Eisenhower Park– Breeding birds and late migrants

Milfordis blessed with many wonderful parks. Expert birder Frank Gallo, Director ofConnecticut Audubon’s Coastal Center (CAS), has handpicked the best sites toexplore in spring, from hidden gems, such as Wilcox Park,to more well-known sites, such as Milford Point. Frank will guide walkers to a varietyof species of seasonal birds at each location. No experience necessary.Binoculars are available upon request. Preregistration recommended. ContactLouise at 203-878-7440 x 502 to register and to request binoculars.
Fee: 4 weeks $28 ($15 seniors, $20 C AS members); weekly $9per walk ($4 seniors, $7 CAS members)

Spring Owl Prowl
Thursday, May 30, 7:15– 9:15p.m.
When the sun retreats, owlsawaken to go in search of prey. Some say that owls are wise; others say thatthey have sparked legends of ghosts. Whatever the truth, we'll uncover themysteries of these amazing nocturnal hunters, while learning about the speciesthat co-exist in our area. The evening culminates at a local park where we'llcarpool and try to call one in. It’s a hoot! Meet at the Coastal Center. Not recommended for young children.
Fee: $25/person. ($15 Seniors,$7 Children (ages 10 and up))
(Spring Special – reduced fee)

Life is short. Bird often.