[CT Birds] Back from Texas, took inventory in Boston Hollow, Ashford

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Fri May 10 18:27:38 EDT 2013

I got home from Texas last night so I thought I'd renew my  acquaintance
with my old friends in Boston Hollow/Yale Forest. I was very happy  to realize
that the woods were absolutely alive with song this AM, although I  must
say the birds weren't moving too much. But unless some of them move on it
looks like there will be a lot of birds this year.
Below is a copy of the Ebird report I submitted; note that if I  mentioned
more than four or five of a species the numbers are most  likely estimates,
the idea being to show relative abundance. And some of these  numbers are
higher than they would have been for me in most previous years.
I did not find Canada or Magnolia Warblers, and I looked in the  usual
places. However, they are late comers, and this is just about the time  they
should be arriving.
The Acadian Flycatchers were not back in the area where they  nested last
year, but I did hear one at the far end of Barlow Mill  Rd.
In particular there seemed to be a lot of Chestnut-sided  Warblers, some in
places I don't recall hearing them before.

Boston Hollow/Yale Forest, Windham, US-CT
May 10, 2013 7:30  AM - 12:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
6.0 mile(s)
Comments:   A quick run-through to see who's arrived so far
43  species

Turkey Vulture  4
Broad-winged Hawk   3
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  5
Pileated  Woodpecker  1
Acadian Flycatcher  1
Least Flycatcher   2
Eastern Phoebe  8
Yellow-throated Vireo  2
Blue-headed  Vireo  8
Red-eyed Vireo  1
Blue Jay  4
Common  Raven  2
Black-capped Chickadee  10
Tufted Titmouse   6
Winter Wren  1
Veery  2
Hermit Thrush  4
Wood  Thrush  8
American Robin  10
Gray Catbird   6
Ovenbird  100     the number is an estimate but they  were everywhere, even
more than usual at this location. May be an  underestimate.
Louisiana Waterthrush  3
Northern Waterthrush   15     Most I have ever heard in Boston Hollow.
Number is very  conservative, probably  an underestimate.
Blue-winged Warbler   3
Black-and-white Warbler  30
Common Yellowthroat   10
Blackburnian Warbler  2