[CT Birds] Chester, 5/10: yardbirds

teustis at killingworthlibrary.org teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Fri May 10 18:33:59 EDT 2013

Chester, 5/10: The migration dam broke here in Chester, as well. I counted a total of 32 species in our yard, with the following highlights (I didn't count number of individuals):
phoebe
great-crested flycatcher
catbird
ruby-throated hummingbird
bluebird
wood thrush
veery
red-eyed vireo
black-and-white warbler
yellow-rumped warbler
black-throated green warbler
parula
common yellowthroat
ovenbird
towhee
oriole
white-throated sparrow (I think this is the latest they've stayed in our yard)
The highlight was a parula bathing in the wet crabapple blossoms. The tree was still heavy with rain, and the bird sat on a branch, fluttering its wings into the water and rubbing its head and neck on the wet blossoms above. Then it perched on a bare branch and preened in the sun. Stunning! (And this, while the yellowthroat provided "background music" from our laurel bush.) I love this time of year!
~ Tammy Eustis, Chester