[CT Birds] Warbler location help tomorrow

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sun May 12 15:34:35 EDT 2013

Hi Joe,

The beauty about this time of year is that you can have a 20 warbler
species day in any region of the state. Migration turns otherwise mundane
local patches into, when you hit it right, migrant hotspots. Predicting
which place(s) will be the best is incredibly difficult.

This morning, for example, I birded a neighborhood in Bethany and turned up
17 warbler species. Not birds dripping from the trees by ANY means, but a
few here and a few there all added up to a nice morning. This kind of
morning can be had in decent habitat almost anywhere. You'll see 15+
warbler sp. reports from all over the state today (NW corner, CT River
Valley, lower CT River, New Haven, Bethany, etc etc). Varying habitats
often helps...try to mix deciduous woods, powerline cuts, shrubby fields,
pines, hemlocks/spruces, standing water, running water, etc etc if you can.

As far as your target list goes, the following are common enough breeders
in the state that you can see them through June if you hit the right
places: BT Green, Canada, Worm-eating, Cerulean, Blackburnian,
Chestnut-sided, Prairie, and Hooded.

That leaves the following as mostly just passage migrants (a couple of
these may breed in very small numbers): Nashville, Tennessee, Wilson's,
Golden-winged (the rarest on your list), Mourning, and Cape May. You may
want to focus more on these species right now because they won't be around
for very long.

A migrant hotspot like East Rock Park could hold any and all of these. And
you could run into any of them anywhere, but try these spots at the park if
you go: Nashville (archery field), Wilson's and Mourning (river trail),
Tennessee (anywhere). East Rock does NOT have a good track record with Cape
May in recent years for whatever reason, but generally tall spruces are
best for this species.

You could find yourself driving all the way from Vernon to a coastal
hotspot like East Rock, only to hear that someone had more luck within 15
minutes of your house. Such is migration. You might find it more satisfying
to try a local spot or two or three.

Anyway, there is no right answer. Or, if you want to look at it this way,
there are many right answers.

I have not taken a close look at tonight's migration weather to recommend a
particular location or general region (i.e. inland vs coast or east vs
west). I'm at work right now so I can't offer much more at the moment. Good
luck.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
www.shorebirder.com